Monday, December 22, 2008

What Should I Use For A Long Stick Middie? A Defender Head or a Middie Head?

Question: Hey Jonathan,
I'm wondering, as long stick middie, if you would recommend a more defender head or a midfielder head.

Thanks a bunch,
Nathan

Answer: Nathan I would recommend a more defender head. Basically all of the advantages of having a defender head to not take away from any of the advantages of a middie head. With a defender head you most likely are going to get a wider head, with a stiffer make up, with a wider scoop that is going to help you with ground balls. To be honest, you wouldn't mind those features if you were just playing middie. Most middie heads are narrower to begin with which make them less forgiving to catch with but easier to hold on to the ball when checked. As a long pole you're going to be dishing the ball more quickly to a short stick so you won't need the narrower head.

So all in all I'd go with a defender head.

A head that goes both ways? The Excalibur. I think it's the longest running head design in STX history and I've played with a lot of defenders who use it. Just a really nice, all purpose head.

Hope that helps. Let me know which one you go with.

Jonathan -

www.yourbestlacrosse.blogspot.com
www.lacrossegoaltending.blogspot.com
www.lacrossegoaltendingforum.com

No comments: